View Single Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 4313 / Power: 19
kiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond reputekiko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arsenal FC @ Emirates All Gunner fans fall in

ROBIN van Persie rewarded Arsenal's patience as the Gunners finally shattered Olympiakos's stubborn resistance to claim a 2-0 win in the Champions League.
Arsene Wenger's side dominated the Group H clash at the Emirates Stadium from start to finish, but were frustrated until 12 minutes from full-time by a superb display from Greek goalkeeper Antonis Nikopolidis.

Nikopolidis made a series of fine saves to keep Arsenal at bay until Dutch striker Van Persie slotted home and then Andrei Arshavin notched the second to give the scoreline a more realistic look.

Wenger will become the longest serving manager in Arsenal's history tomorrow when his tenure in north London stretches to 13 years and this was the perfect way to celebrate that milestone.

His team produced the kind of eye-catching play that Wenger loves and more importantly maintained its winning start to the group stage.

“I am very happy. We had a great first half and outstanding quality but unfortunately we couldn't take advantage of it,” Wenger said.

“It was difficult to maintain that pace and quality for 90 minutes but overall I think we dominated from the first minute until the last.

“We kept composure and we always played with the desire to keep discipline in the team. We have matured and a game like that shows that.”

Olympiakos boss Zico launched a furious rant at the officals for allowing Arshavin's strike, which looked offside, and even claimed that French referee Stephane Lannoy and his two French linesman shouldn't have taken charge of the game because Arsenal has a French manager and players.

“I think there was a lack of sensitivity. We had three French officials with a French coach of the opposing team and many French players. Maybe we could have had officials from another country. I don't want to talk about only this but I think it should be taken into account,” Zico said.

“It is only a comment. I don't think they were biased but a goal was offside. We always hope it is just a mistake.”

Enjoy and be happy!