View Single Post
Old 14-10-2020, 12:32 AM
Samster (M)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: -129 / Power: 0
HaiDiLao HaiDiLao
Re: Anyone knows when will be the exact time that GL will be open again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesch View Post
Not very meaningful for a country, especially a small one, to declare itself virus-free unless it doesn't want to have effective interaction with the outside world. For example what's the point of SG being virus-free while people coming in have to be quarantined and vice-verse?

It's the mindset that needs to be changed: to learn to co-exist with a virus that's indeed not much more toxic than flu.
This is an entirely different matter. In terms of curbing the virus, countries which locked down, practiced social distancing and wore masks are doing better. Sweden paid a high price with its fatality rate, and it did practice social distancing and other measures. If you want to stop the virus from spreading, then I think it's clear which direction to take: not Sweden.

If we were to follow Sweden's playbook, are you prepared to accept the 55, 000 or so dormitory cases being unleashed into society and say just too bad if some people die or are severely ill for life? Sweden had 1000 deaths in the nursing homes. Can Singaporeans stomach their loved ones dying in the homes, can you? It is a heavy price to pay if you want to open your borders pronto. You can also say the amount of masks used has too damaging an effect on the environment.

I don't know if the world over-reacted or needs a mindset change. Maybe, maybe not. But for sure, Sweden fucked it up in terms of containment. As it turns out, sacrificing lives to remain open while everyone else is closed is even more stupid. Thailand is trying to get tourists back but who the fuck wants to go to a Covid infested country? Sweden gambled and lost. Ultimately, some balance is needed.